Both the MySQL and PostgreSQL are popular and open source RDBMS used with a huge variety of administration tools and programming APIs as required. But due to some advantages, while comparing the two, PostgreSQL is a better choice. Some of its extra benefits are as follows:
- Firstly, it supports various models of indexing
- Secondly, it fully complies with ANSI SQL standards
- Moreover, it also provides you with asynchronous commit
- Furthermore, it supports both synchronous and asynchronous replication
Due to all the above reasons many businesses and organizations are now migrating their database from MySQL to Postgres servers. Follow these steps to successfully migrate your database:
- Firstly you need to extract table definitions from the source database management which in this case is MySQL. You need to extract the database in the form of DDL SQL statements.
- Then you need to convert the statements according to the destination formatting. Then load the formatted statement into the target database.
- After this, you should export data from the MySQL database into an intermediate storage such as CSV files.
- The next step is transforming data according to the destination formatting. Then load it into Postgres database.
- Then you should extract stored procedures, views, and triggers from MySQL database in the form of SQL statements and source code.
- After this, you need to convert the statements according to the destination formatting. Once the formatting is done you should load it into PostgreSQL database
- At the end, you should check for whether all the databases have been converted properly or not
The entire process of transferring the database from MySQL to Postgres is very time-consuming when done manually. This procedure can take a lot of human effort and time. Also, there may be high risks of data loss or corruption during the transfer process. Therefore, it is always a good idea to use specialized software to do this task for you. Intelligent Converter developed a great tool in the form of software for this purpose. The software is known as MySQL to PostgreSQL converter and has high-performance abilities. It has a speed of about 10,000 records per second of the average modern system due to the feature of direct reading and writing data without any middleware or library components.
In addition to this, the software has many other benefits. It can support all the versions of the MySQL and PostgreSQL including their cloud solutions. Moreover, for automation and scheduling of database it has command line version available as well. Furthermore, you can also merge or synchronize MySQL data with existing PostgreSQL database instead of only migrating it. In some situations where you just have to migrate certain records to the destination database, the software has special filter tool for it. Using this software tool, you can choose the specific records you wish to transfer. You can also change column type by using the “custom column mapping” capability of the program. In the situations when the target PostgreSQL server fails to accept remote connection you can export the data into SQL script using MySQL to PostgreSQL converter.