On no moon day (known as Amavasya), Deepa pooja takes place in all Hindu homes. This pooja is performed by the people of Maharashtra, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, and Karnataka. The Hindu people do Deepa pooja to welcome the blessed Shravan month. July 13th is the date of the Deepa pooja on Asada Amavasya. The worshippers hope that by lighting the diyas (candles), the negative energies in the house will vanish and purify the environment before the start of the Shravan month.
The individuals can decorate their houses with grand embellishments and colourful rangoli designs. They should ensure that their home is neat and well-organized for the smooth functioning of the ritual. The worshippers should wash their diyas and light them up at the time of pooja. The ritual begins with shining lamps and diyas neatly arranged in a beautifully lit pooja room. The devotees firmly believe that by worshipping a diya, one can get knowledge and wisdom. The Deepa pooja also helps you get abundant blessings from Ashta Lakshmi. Do check out: online puja services
DEFINITION OF DEEPA POOJA OR PURNIMA
The Deepa pooja is celebrated for multiple reasons across many regions. Quite a few of them celebrate Deepa pooja to welcome and honour Shravan month as it is the most sacred and holiest month of the year. Various vratas and rituals are held during this sacred pooja. In other cases, people celebrate this pooja to worship different female Deities. The most popular Asada Amavasya in Maharashtra is the ‘Gatari Amavasya’. Prayers, chants, and food to our deceased ancestors. It is called ‘ Pithru Tarpana’ or ‘Shraddha’.
SIGNIFICANCE OF DEEP OR DEEPA POOJA
- Erases the sadness from our lives: Performing Deepa pooja or Deep pooja on such an auspicious day as Amavasya will defeat all evil and negative spirits. It brings intense pleasure and happiness.
- Attain Ashta Aishwarya: If people perform this pooja with utmost faith and sincerity, it is a common belief that you will be bestowed with Ashta Aishwarya which means eight sorts of wealth.
- Pitra Tarpan Kaal Sarp Dosh Nivaran Pooja: Asadya Ammavasya is immensely popular for its Pitra Tarpan of forefathers and removes Kaal Sarpa Dosh in one’s kundli or birth chart. The time in which the Pitra Tarpan and Kaal Sarpa Dosha are very crucial to the performance of the pooja. It should mandatorily be recommended by the astrologer or it could harm one’s life.
CERTAIN PROCEDURES TO BE FOLLOWED WHILE PERFORMING THE DEEPA POOJA
- Take a fresh and clean shower in the morning.
- Clean your homes and decorate them properly.
- Clean the diyas.
- Paint them with bright and shiny colours.
- Light them up in the morning as well as the evening.
- Creative and attractive rangoli designs are to be created on the floor of your house and in the pooja room.
- Offer your sincere prayers, chants, mantras, and songs dedicated to The Lord.
- Accessorize the Deity with garlands and ornaments.