Everyone likes to save time in the mornings. Whether you have children, work, school or all of the above; there is nothing like waking up and knowing that you have a delicious breakfast waiting for you. This dish takes about 30 minutes to cook in the oven so if you’re short on time you could simply put it in the oven and bake it while you’re getting ready for your day! It takes about 10 minutes to prepare the day/night before. Perfect for brunch if you want to impress your guests!
- 8 tomatillos (You can substitue with regular tomatoes for a red sauce)
- 1 large onion
- 2 jalapenos
- Olive Oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 4-6 eggs depending on the number of people
- cotija cheese
- tortilla bread
- Preheat oven to 400 and cut the tomatillos, onion and jalapenos in large chunks. You will want to remove the seeds of the jalapenos if you don’t want it too spicy. Coat with olive oil and roast in the oven until browned. (About 30-45 minutes)
- Blend the mixture with the chicken broth and salt and then store in a container in the refrigerator for the following morning.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 and pour the sauce into a casserole dish and bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and poke little holes for the amount of eggs you want to cook and crack the egg gently onto the sauce.
- Bake until the the egg whites are fully cooked but the yolks are runny. (Around 15 minutes)
- Remove and Sprinkle with the cheese and cilantro and enjoy with some warm tortilla bread.
Follow me on Instagram: @Gratefulbelly
Author: Tatiana Merciyan
Tatiana Merciyan Rumi is a foodie at heart and a wife and mommy to Sam and Gia, who are her everything. She has always had a big love for food and culture and truly enjoys cooking as well as coming up with new and healthy recipes. She is Armenian and holds the pride of love and family dear to her heart. She is grateful for her upbringing and family roots who have introduced her to all ethnicities of food. In her spare time, she loves to travel and see how other people live, eat and enjoy their lives. Find more delicious recipes and food tips from her @ https://www.instagram.com/gratefulbelly/ and www.gratefulbelly.net.