I must admit this salad does require some prepping but the way I actually created it was with a bunch of leftovers I had one day in the fridge. I was really craving a refreshing and delicious salad so I put some stuff I already had together and couldn’t believe how well the ingredients complimented each other. Ever since, I have made it countless times and always make sure I add the same ingredients because they just compliment each other so well. Not to mention that every single ingredient is so incredibly good for you. Try it!
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa ( notes below)
- 1/2 cup pickled onions ( notes below)
- 1 cup sautéed mushrooms (notes below)
- 1/2 cup cooked lentils (notes below)
- 1/4 cup currants
- 4 handfuls of spinach
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- goat cheese to top
- In a small pot, add 1 cup of water with 1/2 cup of quinoa and cook on high until it boils. Once it boils, lower the heat to low and cook until fully cooked. (You can and should make more quinoa while you’re at it to keep in your fridge for other use)
- In a jar, mix 1 red onion with 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp sugar. Mix it up and use after an hour. You can keep the rest in the fridge for other use.
- Saute 3 cups of mushrooms with 1 tbs olive oil until mushrooms are fully cooked. Use all the mushrooms as they will shrink down to 1 cup.
- Boil the lentils in water until they are fully cooked but still “al dente”
- Mix all the ingredients together once they have all cooled except for the goat cheese. No dressing required unless you want to drizzle with some olive oil and lemon.
Follow me on Instagram: @Gratefulbelly
Author: Christina Koop
Christina is a fun loving, trend oriented millennial with an eye for trend spotting and digital marketing. In her spare time, she is usually found with friends, reading the next marketing tech book, or simply with her husband relaxing and enjoying all that life has to offer her in NC.