Hello dolls! I am starting a new little..segment, if you will called #TrendTips here on Beauty Breakdown. Once a month I will post an article discussing some of the current beauty trends taking the internet by storm that month & give you the scoop on how to get in on all the fun. To kick off this month, we’re starting out with everyone’s current obsession: highlighting.
Here’s The Glow Down:
✫ A good tip when you’re highlighting, is to build up your glow instead of going in heavy right off the bat. Start lightly, then continue to layer your highlight until you achieve your desired intensity.
✫ When you’re layering your products, do so based on their weight: liquids to balms, sticks to powders.
✫ Be sure to keep the focus of your intensity to the highest points of your face – this will bring attention to your favorite features.
✫ Choose the right shade of highlight for your skintone. Champagne tones compliment fair skin, pink champagne compliments light to medium skin, golden tones compliment olive and medium skin, terracotta tones compliment dark skin.
✫ When going for that glow-from-within without being too shiny, be sure to use only shimmer in your highlight keeping your bronzer, blush & other powders matte or semi-matte.
✫ For an overall glow, start off your makeup routine by prepping with a hydrating moisturizer, following with an illuminating or hydrating primer.
Choose Your Weapon:
✫ Using pearlized pigments will add a beautiful luminescence to the skin & can be built up to blinding level.
○ For a low glow, try going for highlights such as the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders, Benefit Dandelion Twinkle, Make Up For Ever Pro Light Fusion Highlighter, e.l.f Baked Highlighters, or Wet N Wild Geometric Highlighting Powders.
○ For a blinding glow, choose highlights like the Anastasia Beverly Hills Glow Kits, Too Faced Love Light Prismatic Highlighters, Cover FX Custom Enhancer Drops, Wet N Wild MegaGLO Illuminating Powders, or Hard Candy Glow All The Way Luminizer.
✫ Applying more reflective, gloss-like highlighting products will give the appearance of youthful radiance & leave you with a luminous finish.
○ For a low glow, use highlights like the Cover FX Illuminating Spray, Benefit High Beam, Hard Candy Sheer Envy Hydrating Primer Mist, or Colourpop Super Shock Highlighters.
○ For a blinding glow, go for products like the Milk Makeup Face Gloss, Marc Jacobs Dew Drops, Hard Candy Look Pro! Illuminate Mix-In Drops, or L’Oréal True Match Lumi Liquid Glow Illuminators.
✫ Last but CERTAINLY not least, holographic glow. Using multi-colored & highly reflective pigments will give your skin disco ball-esque dimension.
○ For a low glow, try going for products like the Milk Makeup Holographic Stick, Farsali Unicorn Essence, NARS The Multiple Stick in Luxor, or Makeup Revolution Strobe Highlighter in Holographic Lights.
○ For an out-of-this-world glow, use products like the Kat Von D Alchemist Holographic Palette, BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector in Prismatic Amethyst, Cover FX Custom Enhancer Drops in Halo, Nyx Duo Chromatic Illuminating Powder in Twilight Tint, or Makeup Revolution Strobe Highlighter in Holographic Lights (can be built up to glowing-goddess status).
Where To Apply Your Glow:
Highlight the designated areas per your liking to bring out your favorite features.
How Do You Get Your Glow On?
Follow Me On IG: @gracemichellle
Author: Grace Michelle
Grace Michelle, is a pro-makeup artist and a very talented one at that. She resides in Buffalo, NY with her family and loves all things makeup and beauty related. You can find her articles here discussing anything beauty and makeup related (trends, tips, and more!) Follow along with her @gracemichellle on IG.