Hello loves! This week on Beauty Breakdown, we’re going to be talking all things face masks-how to properly use them, which ones are right for you and what each mask will do for your skin. I believe that face masks are an essential part of your skincare routine. #TreatYoSelf
Applying Face Masks:
When applying face masks, try not to use your hands. If you have a clean, standard foundation brush use this to apply face masks. This makes it more sanitary than using your fingers to dip into a tub of face mask and apply to your face. If you do not have a brush, be sure to wash your hands before applying a mask and remove the mask from the tub with a cotton swab or the back end of a brush. Face masks that come in tubes are best, but most will come in a tub which can be unsanitary if not used properly. With sheet masks, these are quite simple. Remove them from the packaging with clean hands and apply to your face. Trim the mask with scissors to fit your face shape and let sit. Once it is time to remove the mask, be sure to get as much product squeezed out of the mask as possible, do the same with the packaging as there can be a large amount of serum still left. Gently pat or rub in the excess product into your skin.
Now, when you think face masks you may think expensive or pricey-but don’t worry, I have found some incredible budget-friendly face masks that can be bought at virtually any drugstore.
Drugstore Face Masks:
• Freeman Feeling Beautiful & Freeman Beauty Infusion Masks – These are personally my go-to face masks, they are very affordable and super effective. A few of my favorites are the Infusion Cleansing Charcoal + Probiotics Clay Mask, Infusion Hydrating Cream Manuka Honey + Collagen Mask, Feeling Beautiful Dead Sea Minerals Anti-Stress Mask, and Charcoal Mud Mask(dupe for GlamGlow YouthMud!).
○ All of these masks are good for all skin types but are formulated to tackle various skin concerns; clay masks are geared towards all skin types & are designed to boost purity, clear pores and prevent & heal breakouts. Cream face masks are geared towards normal to dry skin types & are designed to rehydrate, repair the skin’s moisture barrier, and improve smoothness.
• L’Oréal Pure Clay Masks – These are a bit more ‘heavy duty’ and are masks, as someone who has combination skin, that are perfect for combination to oily skin types as they give your skin a good, deep cleanse. They are currently a trio, Exfoliate & Refine, Purify & Mattify, and Detox & Brighten. My personal favorite mask out of the three is the Exfoliate & Refine mask as it leaves my skin healthy looking, glowing, pores minimized & my complexion smoothed.
Formula 10.0.6 Face Masks – These masks are beautiful. There are a total of 7 different masks with all different textures & uses in the range and all of them definitely give you your bang for your buck. Pores Be Pure Skin-Clarifying Mask is my top mask out of them all as it essentially removes all the dead skin from your face & leaves a baby’s butt feel behind(it also smells of strawberries which is a plus).
I know what you’re probably thinking-when on earth do I have time to sit down and put a face mask on for twenty minutes-well, that’s where sheet masks come in. Originating in South Korea, sheet masks are face-shaped sheet fabrics soaked in nutrition-packed serum. The sheet is usually made up of papers, fibers or gel types and is generally used once & individually packed which makes them fast, convenient and easy to use.
• TONYMOLY I’m Real Sheet Masks: These sheet masks are one of my top favorite sheet masks. They are very inexpensive(for the entire pack of 11 it is $12) and there is a mask for virtually every skincare need: brightening, skin soothing, radiance, moisturizing, elasticity, pore care, skin purifying, clear skin, nutrition, and vitality. My top masks out of them all are the Elasticity, Skin Purifying, and Brightening masks.
• Pur-lisse Blue Lotus Sheet Masks – Although there are currently only two masks in the line, these masks are incredible. At only $8 each, these masks are intensely moisturizing, nourishing & reviving and are packed with nutrients.
• Peter Thomas Roth 24k Gold Sheet Masks – These masks are a bit on the pricier side however they are worth it. This mask energizes, illuminates, plumps, hydrates and nourishes the skin. It also comes in a tub form, but personally I like the sheet mask better as it is easier & quicker to use, and less messy.
• Dr. Jart+ Skin Care Sheet Masks are amazing. On the more expensive side, these masks really deliver what you expect a $35 mask to do. There are currently 9 sheet masks available at Sephora and they are $35 for a set of 6 or $12 each. Personally, my favorites re the Pore Minimalist Sheet Mask, All That Contours Hydrogel Mask, and the Ceramidin Skin-Friendly Nanoskin Sheet Mask.
To really replenish your skin, high-end masks have your back. They may be expensive, but the results are heavenly.
• Glossier Mega Greens Galaxy & Moisturizing Moon Mask Duo: This mask duo is perfect for a total skin makeover as one detoxifies, the other hydrates and the two pair perfectly. This duo is good for all skin types.
• Drunk Elephant TLC Sukari Babyfacial: This mask is good for every skin type and provides solutions for dullness, uneven texture, fine lines and wrinkles, and uneven skin tone. With a professional quality AHA/BHA blend it effectively yet gently resurfaces the skin & exfoliates the pore lining. It’s an astounding $80 however it is very much worth the splurge.
• What kind of face mask article would this be without the beloved, cult-classic GlamGlow: GlamGlow have several different masks to choose from and are all incredible. SUPERMUD(best for normal, combo, and oily skin), YOUTHMUD(best for all skin types), THIRSTYMUD(best for all skin types), FLASHMUD(best for all skin types), and GRAVITYMUD(best for all skin types) provide a solution for most skin concerns. Personally, GRAVITYMUD and THIRSTYMUD are my favorites.
• Last but certainly not least, Origins Face Masks. These are my personal favorite pricier face masks as they are still on the more affordable side of Sephora and are very effective. They have a mask for almost every skin type & concern, but my personal favorites are the Origins Drink Up! Intensive Overnight Mask and the Dr. Andrew Weil For Origins Mega Mushroom Skin Relief Mask.
To wrap things up(get it lol sheet, sheet mask, wrap-you wrap yourself in a sheet?? nevermind) no matter what your budget is, you can still squeeze a face mask into your skincare routine. If you’re like me you can eve n make an event out of face masking: run a bath, grab a coffee or tea, put on some music, light a candle, and get your face mask on.
Mother’s Day is coming up, so why not treat your mom to a face mask? She definitely deserves it.
Do you use face masks? If so, what are your favorite masks? Let me know below!
Follow Me on Insta: @gracemichellle
Author: Christina Koop
Christina is a fun loving, trend oriented millennial with an eye for trend spotting and digital marketing. In her spare time, she is usually found with friends, reading the next marketing tech book, or simply with her husband relaxing and enjoying all that life has to offer her in NC.