One of the first things people think about when they’re craving Italian food (after pasta) are meatballs! They are just so satisfying with the flavorful and soft meat accompanied by that tasty red sauce! This recipe tastes just like Italian style meatballs but they are made with ground turkey instead of beef so its way more healthy! Try it for yourself!
For the Meatballs
- 1 lb Turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese (whole milk works best)
- 1/3 cup gluten free breadcrumbs (you could use any type except panko)
- 1/3 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
For the Sauce
- 1 32 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients for the meatballs and mix very well until everything is combined.
- Form the mixture into balls about the size of a ping pong ball. (You can also make them smaller or bigger depending on what you prefer. You will have to adjust the cooking time if you do so)
- In a pan, add about a tablespoon of olive oil and add the meatballs and cook one medium until the outer portions are golden but not brown. This is best done using tongs and make sure to check the sides as they burn fast. Once all sides are golden remove from heat and set aside.
- in a large saucepan, add the tbs of olive oil along with the tomatoes and mix for a couple minutes on medium. Add the spices and continue cooking for another 10 minutes to fully mix all the flavors. (You can also add some wine at this point…about 1 cup. If you do add wine cook for another 10 minutes)
- Add the meatballs into the sauce and cook with the meatballs for about 20 minutes on medium.
- Sprinkle with some more ricotta cheese, parmesan and parsley and enjoy!
Author: Christina Koop
Christina is a fun loving, trend oriented millennial with an eye for trend spotting and digital marketing. In her spare time, she is usually found with friends, reading the next marketing tech book, or simply with her husband relaxing and enjoying all that life has to offer her in NC.